Mad Dogs & Rock Collectors Go Out In The Mid-day Sun! (Post up your Rocks & Mid-day Epics!)

• Big piece of quartz I saw today.

w.jpg

• @NickG! That big chunk of quartz appears to have some iron on it too.

• that time of year. followed a bar for quite a ways today..

IMG_3053.jpg

• @FritzRay

Fritz, I'm loving the mineral photos.

• @was-dar! Re your mention: "I'm loving the mineral photos" Thank you! I had better post more.

Garnets are a big family, but they are all classed as silicates, & are all pretty hard, between 6.5 & 7.5 on the Mohs scale, their crystals are somewhat similar, & most types are fairly common.

Idaho & Nevada have a lot of garnet locations & I've managed to find some nice specimens over the years. One of more valuable varieties can be better specimens of Almadine, which is cut & polish to Star garnets. I used to live about 50 miles west of Emerald Cr. Idaho, which is a noted, & now regulated by the Forest Service, collecting site. Right out of the ground, Star Garnets don't look like much, but I collected these back in the late 1970's. The largest one is thumb-sized.

IMG_6222.JPG

I found these dime-sized almadine garnets about 20 miles east of that site. I like the color, but they have no gem quality.
    IMG_6186.JPG

Almadine garnets are common in the metamorphic rocks of North Idaho & in places garnet sand like this had been mined commercially for sandpaper. I took this photo of a 1/2" wide area of garnet sand on the St. Joe river.
    St Joe river garnet sand .5 inch..jpg

Andradrite & Grossular garnets are very similar Calcium silicates & they form a series.

I've found a fair number of nice specimens at old mines in the last few years. I found this green one, likely a grossular garnet, at remote Ferber Flat, Nevada.

Ferber Flat Utah.JPG

This specimen, with two colors of Andradrite garnet, came from a mine at the edge of the 7 Devil Mountains.
    garnets two types 2.JPG

One of my nicer specimens, shiny thumb-sized red Andradrite from the same mine.

IMG_6192.JPG

Andradrite garnets sticking through a coating of the copper-silcate Chrysocolla, from the same mine.
    garnet chrysocolla 7 devils ray.JPG

I found some of my larger Grossular crystals at an old mine on Idaho's Iron Mountain. Unfortunately, while I was balancing on a small foothold removing this specimen with a hammer & chistle, while 20 feet up, I lost concentration on where the hammer was hitting for a second.
    Garnets Iron Mt. ID n tumb..JPG

A thumb-sized grossular crystal. Like most garnets, it is 12-sided. From high on White Knob Peak, Idaho.
    Thumb-sized green garnet White Knob Peak Challis Co. ID.JPG

Spessartine garnet is somewhat rare in Idaho, but occurs in the Sawtooth Mountains. What I've found there is small crystals in crusts like this.

sawtooths 2006 080small.jpg

Here's a nice specimen from China with orange spessartine on quartz crystals.
    Quartz n Spessartine 100.00 2012.JPG

• Heidi & I did the "big" two-day drive south to Tucson.

We went down to find some warmer weather, do some desert hikes, & visit the huge, world-famous Tucson Gem & Mineral Show.

All goals were achieved, but I only wore shorts for one day, & the trip high-temperature was only
    73 f.

We did not find any minerals of interest on our desert hikes, but did find lots of cacti.
    IMG_1184.JPG

We've gone to the big show in Tucson about 6 times since 2009, but it is ever-changing. We didn't buy much, but usually, looking is free.

$30,000.00 for this 10" tall Aquamarine on feldspar, from the mountains of Pakistan.

IMG_1182.JPG

A 5' x 6' slab of ancient Crinoids. Think of them as a marine animal with roots, long stems, & flowers that consist of tentacles & a mouth. The price was not posted.

IMG_1189.JPG

Heidi & a big chunk of Amethyst geode.

IMG_1199.JPG

A 3' x 4' slab of Trilobites. They were also an early marine animal, similar to horseshoe crabs. Rumors have mentioned that although Morocco produces a lot of fossil specimens like this, many are manufactured, not exchavated.

IMG_1192.JPG

Black smoky quartz crystals covered with orange spesartine garnets. 3' x 4'.

IMG_1181.JPG

A realy big, polished chalcedony ball.

IMG_1203.JPG

• @FritzRay said in Mad Dogs & Rock Collectors Go Out In The Mid-day Sun! (Post up your Rocks & Mid-day Epics!):

Black smoky quartz crystals covered with orange spesartine garnets. 3' x 4'.

Oh, bullshit. That's just a blown-up photo of whatever pizza you ordered in some crummy pub.

Now the chalcedony ball, on the other hand, fits right in with my recent post about aliens on the random photo thread.

• David: The quartz & spessartine garnet crystals are real, but. as we know ------

so are "them aliens."

IMG_4912 copy.jpg

• Four days after getting home from the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show, we finally got Heidi's 129 lb. Valentine's Day gift out of my SUV & in the house. First, we gently tugged, rolled, & fought it into her little tractor's bucket, then lowered it to a dolly, then up the sidewalk to the house, up two steps & off the dolly. And then we rolled, danced, & fought it into position & unwrapped it. A smaller present would not have been nearly as much fun. The toll was light, one slightly mashed finger, two slightly strained backs, & no open cursing.

Ain't it pretty!

IMG_2087.JPG

In a lifetime of mineral collecting, the largest amethyst geode I have found was at about age 12. It is about 3" x 4" & of course I still cherish it.

And, I must confess, several security officials talked Heidi out of climbing this inviting Amethyst geode at a previous Tucson Gem & Mineral Show.

IMG_0020.JPG

• Here are some cabs I cut over the season here in Quartziste:

Sonoran Dendritic Rhyolite
    Sonoran Dendritic Rhyolite 15.jpg

Owyhee Jasper
    Owyhee Cab 10.jpg

Rocky Butte Jasper
    RB1D.jpg

And here, me on the club cabbing arbor
    Cabbing Image 2.jpg

• @Happiegrrrl , hey there say, terrie!! wow this is wonderful! thanks for sharing... so very happy for you!!

also, fritz and heidi! wonderful to see more all that you share, ...
    and, the trip...

zbrown, ohmy, what a situation, as to the dead man and the cave, oh my...